Why is the racing series AMA sanctioned?
The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has been the national sanctioning body for US motorcyclists for almost 100 years. Snow Biking is a motorcycle sport, so it makes sense to shade it under the AMA tree. Being sanctioned by the AMA also offers:
- Series Liability Insurance
- Rider Insurance
- Official legitimate recognition of the sport
- More exposure, clout and gravitas!
- Consistent racer classifications and rules
What Classes can I race in?
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CLASSES:
- Pro Men – Age 16-up (up to 450cc, 2 or 4-stroke)
- Pro Women – Age 16-up (ANY size engine, 2 or 4-stroke) (Note, women over 16 CAN also enter in any of the men's classes if they wish, veteran too if over 40.)
- Senior Trophy – Age 40-up (ANY size engine, 2 or 4-stroke)
NON-CHAMPIONSHIP, EXHIBITION TROPHY CLASSES:
- 350 Trophy – Age 14-Up (2 or 4 strokes, 151 to 350cc, fitted with full-size snow bike kits)
- Open Development Trophy – Age 16-Up (2-strokes or 4-strokes 351cc-Up, NOS & Turbos okay)
- Women Trophy – Age 16-up (ANY size engine, 2 or 4-stroke) (Note, women over 16 CAN also enter in any of the men's classes if they wish, senior too if over 40.)
- Youth Ripper – Age 6-15 using “Ripper” kits, with 2-stk motors up to 85cc and 4-strk up to 150cc. If there is a mixture of young and older youth, they may be run separately. Hoot snow bike kits are also legal to run on YZ85 Yamahas.
What are the awards?
NON-CHAMPIONSHIP, EXHIBITION TROPHY CLASS EVENT AWARDS:
Trophies to top five in each trophy class run at each event.
PRO CASH PER SERIES EVENT:
$3,000 MINIMUM cash (checks issued) paid at each event as follows: (There MAY be additional, supplemental cash at some or all events. $100 per event entry fees for men and $75 per event for women.) Some events may have additional, non-points-paying Dash for Cash races prior to National Main events, and/or manufacturer contingency cash).
- 1st man $700
- 2nd man $500
- 3rd man $400
- 4th man $300
- 5th man $200
- 1st woman $400
- 2nd woman $300
- 3rd woman $200
What are my motorcycle requirements?
Please visit Rules page to understand what is allowed and not allowed on your snow bike.
What is required to participate?
ALL riders MUST wear a helmet and goggles, chest and back protector, boots and gloves while practicing and/or racing on-site during race day.
The AMA Championship Snow Bike Series follows the AMA amateur motocross rule book. You can read it by clicking here. Obviously, there are some unique rules which apply ONLY to snow bikes, known as supplimental rules and you can read them by clicking here.
You MUST be either an annual AMA member or buy a temporary weekend license to race. Adults CAN buy a $49 annual membership by clicking here, or you can buy a $20, temporary, weekend membership at the event (and that $20 can be applied later toward an annual membership). Youth annual memberships are $29 and you can also buy a $20 temporary weekend youth membership onsite for $20, which can also be applied toward an annual membership. There also an annual family membership for $98 which buys membership for 2 adults and up to three youth members in a family. An annual AMA membership will also work for other types of motorcycle competition such as motocross, flat track and enduro and if you are already an AMA member, that will also allow you to race snow bikes.